Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Swing Set Cardigan


This was my first attempt at a clothing item.  Growing up, I had a vest my mom had made me that I had never really liked.  The yarn was too scratchy and it just didn't fit well.  So I have been hesitant to make anything that my kids would wear in fear that it wouldn't look how I wanted it to.  This pattern (as mentioned in my previous post) is from Linda Permann's book titled "Little Crochet" and I have to say it was SOOO much easier than I thought it would be to make something so cute.  The size of pattern I used was for 9-18 month old girls and the yarn weight she calls for is #3.  The weight of the yarn I chose to use was #4 and so the cardigan turned out bigger than I planned.  Since my baby is only 6 months old and doesn't sit still long enough for me to get a good idea if this would fit or not, I tried it on one of my friend's little girl.  She is almost 2 years old and it fit her pretty well.  So I am going to say that the size is probably more of a 18-24 months size.  Of course I could always try and adjust the pattern a little for a smaller size while still using the more bulky yarn.  Now, the buttons I chose were a little bigger than I had originally planned, so I am now trying to decide if I should just use 2 or squeeze a 3rd in the middle.  ???  There are 3 button holes, but you can't really see the middle one and I could probably get away with just leaving it off.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment